Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Why do I do this to myself???!!?

My husband and I were married almost two years ago, in June. At the same time, I was working part-time, attending college full-time, preparing to take both the GRE and the biology subject GRE, finishing and writing my biology honor's thesis, and traveling around the country to present the final product at several research competitions. Looking back, I remember it being hectic and rushed and I was not sleeping or eating as much as I should have, especially in order to maintain my weight for the wedding. My husband may remember his future wife going slightly crazy. I thought I would never do so much at one time again, but, alas, I may have just gotten myself into that same situation again.
In my attempt to leave graduate school for a normal life with my husband, my advisors have realized that I am 1 unit and a thesis project away from getting my Masters. I have been working on a project for the past four months, so, in theory, I could get it done this summer. However, it would mean that over the summer I would have to:
  1. Get a full time job (I am waiting to hear back on an interview and some applications I have been working on over the past month or two).
  2. Find a committee. <-- not as easy as it sounds.
  3. Resume my life with my husband, dog, and gecko.
  4. Bring all of my research materials from graduate school.
  5. Convince an unsuspecting but reliable undergraduate to help obtain data from the lab AND process it AND email it to me in a timely manner.
  6. Analyze the data and get a result (ha!).
  7. Write the thesis.
  8. Travel back to graduate school and defend it in front of the committee. Without going insane from the pressure.
  9. Try to fit in the anniversary trip my husband planned.
  10. Get this all done by the end of summer quarter.
So is it worth it to complete my masters? That is what I am trying to decide right now. Being so close, it is tempting to power through this next summer and get it done. But there is the fear that my project won't work or my thesis won't be approved by the committee. Arg! I guess if I try and fail, then at least I tried.
In the meantime, I will try to keep my sanity by working on more crafts and trying to get tomatoes to grow.
Shopping bag that I crocheted: For the first attempt, I didn't pay that much attention to the pattern, and the handles suffered. I thought it would make a nice gift, so on the second try I followed the pattern and changed the color. Not too bad of a result.


Second attempt:


No comments:

Post a Comment